VirguezLaw - Logo blanco
Let's talk

How to Report a Car accident and File a Claim

Sad woman calling roadside assistance after a car

Did you know that in 2020, car crashes (MVCs) were the second leading cause of injury deaths and the second leading cause of hospitalizations and ER visits in Georgia, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health? In that same year, Georgia had the 4th greatest number of traffic fatalities (1,664) in the nation [iii], even though Georgia has the 8th largest population in the United States [iv].

These staggering numbers of car crashes in Georgia make it even more important that you do everything possible to ensure you are an alert, safe, and defensive driver. But unfortunately, only some of the drivers on the road maintain the same level of responsibility. If you are in a car crash, call an experienced attorney, such as the ones at Virgurez Law. They will ensure you know exactly what to do during this stressful event. 

While calling an accident attorney is the best thing you can do, it’s also good to know how to report a car accident and file a claim. At Virguez Law, we believe knowledge is power, and the more you know, the more equipped you are to handle life’s unfortunate events. This article will walk you through reporting a car accident and filing a claim.

How To Report a Car Accident

Before we discuss how to report a car accident, it is essential to understand how Georgia law defines an “accident.” In Georgia, an “accident” is a collision of any motor vehicle with another vehicle or object, the involvement of a motor vehicle in any manner where a person is killed or injured or where a person suffers more than $500 in property damage. 

If you are in a car accident, the first thing you should do is ensure you are safe and your vehicle is off the road if possible. If you or anyone in the accident is injured, call 911 immediately. Georgia law requires all car crashes immediately be reported to law enforcement. To learn more about what to do if you are involved in a car crash, read our helpful article on the Virguez Law website. 

Before you report a car accident to your insurance, call the attorneys at Virguez Law at 678-300-0000. Even if the car crash was not your fault, you don’t want to say anything that could be used against you in the future. When you contact the attorneys at Virguez Law, they will speak to your insurance company and report the car accident for you and help you with the claim, making your life much easier. 

If you choose to handle the car accident on your own, call your insurance company and report the car crash as soon as possible. Even if there is only minor damage or the other driver admits fault and agrees to compensate you, there is no guarantee that the responsible party will pay. 

They could come back and say that the accident was your fault. Your insurance company will work to get you the compensation that you’re entitled to. Since Georgia law recommends that all drivers call 911 immediately after a car crash, there are no other reporting requirements. 

How to File a Car Accident Claim

If you are in a car accident, gather the names, contact information, and insurance policy formation of all parties involved. We also recommend taking pictures of the accident scene and the vehicles involved. Your insurance company or attorney will want to review those.

To file a car accident claim, contact your insurance company or attorney, who will contact your insurance company for you. The insurance company will ask for the following information:

  • Location, time, and date of the accident
  • The names, numbers, and insurance policies of the other parties involved.
  • The conditions of the road and weather at the time of the accident
  • Any photos you have
  • Copies of the police or accident report.

Georgia is a “fault” state for car accidents. If the other driver was at fault, you could pursue compensation for losses after a car crash. If you wait too long to file a car accident claim, you will miss the opportunity to get any compensation. Even if the car accident is minor and you feel ok, injuries suffered from an accident can show up down the road leading to unforeseen medical bills and lost wages. 

In Georgia, the statute of limitations is two years, meaning you can’t file a claim after two years, even if you suffer injuries or complications from the accident. That is another reason we recommend getting an attorney, even for minor accidents.

Once you report and file a car accident claim, your attorney or insurance company will advise you on what to do next. Being in a car crash, no matter how minor, is stressful. Call the Virguez Law Offices and speak to someone who can take over for you from the moment you are in an accident. 

We’ve helped thousands of clients get through stressful situations and get the compensation they deserve. To schedule a consultation, call 678-300-0000.

Request a consultation

Related notes

What type of attorney are you looking for?

Scroll to Top