Life has a way of throwing curveballs when we least expect it. A car accident is a prime example of an unexpected occurrence. Dealing with the aftermath of a recent car accident can be a stressful and confusing experience. But if you are prepared, you will know exactly what to do.
In a perfect world, immediately following a car accident you would do the following:
- Check for Injuries: The safety of all individuals involved should be your top priority. Call for medical assistance if anyone is injured.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Notify the police about the accident. They will document the scene, create a report, and give you a police report case number so that you can get a copy of the accident report.
- Exchange Information: Share your contact and insurance details with the other parties involved in the accident and collect their information as well.
- Take Pictures: It is important to document the scene at the time of the collision. Take pictures of your car’s damages, as well as the other vehicles involved in the crash.
- Call A Car Accident Attorney: Experienced car accident attorneys like the ones at Virguez Law will talk you through what to do at the accident scene. They will tell you what to say and what not to say, as both can be detrimental to your case. Consult with us and we will work with you to ensure you get the proper compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Do NOT Talk to Insurance Companies: It is important to remember that insurance companies are businesses. It is their job to find out reasons to deny your claims. By talking directly to the insurance companies, and giving them statements, instead of allowing your attorney to do so, you risk getting your claim(s) denied. Leave correspondence with the insurance companies to your attorneys.
However, if you were in a car accident and did not follow the above steps, what should you do now?
The first thing you should do is contact a personal injury attorney. This is single-handedly the most important action you can take to protect yourself. Your accident lawyer will step in to speak with the insurance companies to advocate on your behalf. And, if you are worried about the cost, you should know that most accident attorneys work on a “contingent basis,” meaning, they do not charge a fee unless/until they get money for you.
To prepare for your consultation, gather the police report case number, as well as any photos you took at the scene, and the names and contact information of any witnesses. If you sought any type of medical care after the crash, make sure to have the name of the urgent care, hospital or doctor so that your attorney can request the bills and records from those providers.
Hopefully, you are never in a car accident, but by educating yourself and your loved ones – especially teenage drivers – on what to do SHOULD they be in a car accident, it will ensure the proper steps are taken that will help you in the long term. Preparing yourself starts with education. At Virguez Law, we feel it is our duty to educate the community.
If you haven’t already done so, you can read more helpful articles regarding car accidents. You’ll find a list of valuable topics below:
- Do I Really Need A Car Accident Attorney?
- Maximize Your Personal Injury Claim Compensation: Trusted Legal Representation
- How To Report A Car Accident And File A Claim
- Can A Car Accident Claim Be Reopened?
- Should I Get A Lawyer For A Minor Car Accident?
- Why You Should Call Virguez Law Immediately After A Car Accident
Dealing with a car accident that occurred just yesterday can be a challenging and disorienting experience. However, by following the steps outlined in this guide, you can regain control and navigate the aftermath more smoothly. Remember, you don’t have to face this situation alone. Seek help from professionals, such as a car accident lawyer, to ensure you receive the compensation and justice you deserve. In time, the chaos of the accident will transform into a story of resilience and recovery. If you would like to speak to a skilled and trusted car accident attorney, call Virguez Law at 678-300-0000. Our attorneys also speak fluent Spanish, so if English is not your first language, you can feel confident knowing that we can communicate with you in your language. We truly believe that this takes away stress for our non-English speaking clients and helps them feel comfortable and confident in an already uncomfortable situation like dealing with a car accident.